Update 07.04.2013 (estimated completion = 30%):
Here’s a playable sample of the game so far, which simply shows how the core mechanics will work: download link (7.05MB)
Since I haven’t had time to integrate tutorials/instructions yet, I’ll just explain everything here for now:
!!! To start the game, navigate the gray ball in the menu screen to the platform with “New Game” — when the text turns yellow, hit Enter !!!
(1) [Goal] The goal of the game is in two parts: First is to control the gray circle and maneuver it around the level to find and come in contact with the pink circle. After you come in contact with the pink circle, you will meld into a single gray-and-pink circle. The second part of the goal is that once both circles have melded together, you must maneuver your way into the pink door. This ends the level and moves on to the next one.
W or Up Arrow = Jump
A or Left Arrow = Move Left
D or Right Arrow = Move Right
S or Down Arrow = Thrust Down (if in-air) or Brake (if on the ground)
L = shoot (NOTE: you may only shoot once gray-and-pink have melded together. Gray on its own has no ability to shoot)
(3) [On-screen Text]:
Time = amount of time passed since you started the level (number in parentheses is the target ‘perfect’ time)
Gold = number of gold coins you have picked up (will be used for something I haven’t implemented in the game yet)
Exp Gain = total amount of experience that you will gain from completing the level.
Tot Exp = Total experience you have accumulated in the game.
- Exp Gain will decrease while playing the level if (a) you take longer than the target time to finish the level; or, (b) you are hit by an enemy, which decreases the exp gain by 5 points.
- The on-screen text is temporary. I plan on making it graphical eventually.
- Sorry for the game being totally silent for now. I’m still composing the music and working on the sound effects.
- So far there are only three levels. I’ve put them to loop for five times in this playable sample.
Please try it out and kindly provide feedback if you feel that your suggestions would make the game better Particularly in the following areas:
- How do the controls feel? I think it has the potential to be too ‘floaty’ or a struggle. But I’m thinking of giving the player the ability to improve the control of the ball as the game progresses in a similar way to how players upgrade cars in racing games (improve the acceleration, handling, etc)
- Is the target time for the levels just right? Should it be greater (meaning the target time is too hard to beat) or less (meaning it’s too easy)?